Saturday, March 9, 2013

the so-called "binaki"

Ground beef....ground pork...ground stuff, more or less!

Since the doctor and my bladder (I think kidneys too) told me about UTI...

I started to appreciate gumbo (from yuck to wow!), bland food (from more dash of salt to nothing)

My latest passion is: binaki and that is the Visayan term for that sweet dish in a corn husk wherein somebody puts stuff ---that yellow ground corn kernels!!!!!

No oil, No annoying oil, just Health in your mind.

If others say I LOVE PARIS, I must say I LOVE BINAKI!!!!!!!!!!!!




thanks AF for the picture and the text below


Binaki is steamed cake made of grated young corn with powdered milk, baking powder and sugar mixed with water. It is a known delicacy of Northern Mindanao and was originally a homemade dessert in Bukidnon. 

In the native language, naming the delicacy “binaki” is pretty weird since the term sounds likebaki, which is the vernacular for frog. This delicacy has nothing to do with frogs, though, and it doesn’t taste like one either. The assumption as to why it is called like that is maybe because the corn cake when wrapped with corn husk resembles frog legs.
My first try of binaki was when I went to Malaybalay, the capital city of Bukidnon. It was all over the plaza and a lot of people were happily eating it while watching groups of participants dancing on the street for the Kaamulan Festival. 
I stopped taking photos and went to the corner where binaki of different sizes were displayed. The sweetness was mouthwatering and one piece was not enough. Though the texture was not as smooth as a regular cake, the goodness of the mashed creamy corn was heavenly.
In Cagayan de Oro, vendors of binaki are just around the streets of Divisoria and Cogon Market. If made with the best choice of ingredients, clean and hardworking hands, and with patient preparation, binaki will be one of the most delicious hunger reliever to an empty stomach. 


No comments: